Saturday, March 16, 2013

mornings here

lately mornings have been wonderful here.  I have time to wake up, write, have a cup of coffee, get laundry going, shower, and get ready for the day before my husband or toddler even stir. I am grateful for this time...as you may have noticed, I am a morning girl. it's always been my favorite time of day for many reasons.  I love bedhead, baking, blogging, checking the weather, peeping in on a sleeping Lydia, kissing my husband good morning, staying busy with picking up the house, laundry, playing fetch with a rambunctious black lab, and planning my day. although this does require waking at an hour some may find crazy, it fills my heart to be busy and have time to do good things for my family before we all go our separate ways.

mornings should smell like:
baby's breath (not the flower)
coffee, fresh roasted with a kiss of cinnamon stirred into the grounds
fresh air
laundry (soon it will be time to hang it out!)
baby jammies
and these fresh-baked muffins, warm from the oven:

(I'm really trying to resist the urge to call all of my morning recipes "Sunshine ______" but honestly, there's no better word to describe how these muffins taste and smell. I have a new favorite cookbook, super natural every day by Heidi Swanson, that uses all vegan or vegetarian ingredients; some I have had in my pantry for quite some time, so it's great to use them! she is a breath of fresh air to any recipe with a sweet description and careful attention to her ingredients, time and stunning food photography.)

Sunshine Muffins
adapted from super natural every day, by Heidi Swanson

2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. raw millet
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. fine-grain sea salt
1 c. plain yogurt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. unsalted butter, barely melted
1/2 c. honey
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
grated zest and 2 tbsp. juice from one lemon
3/4 c. chopped fresh strawberries

preheat the oven to 375F--rack right in the middle
line muffin tins with paper or grease with butter (I used large tins, 6 muffins apiece)
whisk together flour, millet, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl
whisk together yogurt, eggs, butter, honey, and lemon zest/juice till smooth in a smaller bowl
add wet ingredients to dry and stir till dry ingredients are just incorporated with the wet
divide batter among muffin cups--spoon batter in, it will be thick
bake for about 15 minutes, until muffin tops are browned and just barely beginning to crack
let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn them out on a rack to cool completely.


mmmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment