Thursday, September 13, 2012

we are one

Charlie and I were joined in love [and holy matrimony] on Sunday, September 2nd, 2012.  It was a beautiful sunny afternoon out by Current Lake.  The ceremony took my breath away more than once; I couldn't talk without choking up several times [nor could Charlie, but I didn't tell you that].  The positive energy and happiness wafting through the sanctuary was almost tangible.  Some of my favorite parts:
  • Trying not to peek around the corner when Carter and Lydia cleaned up all the petals she dropped before walking down the aisle holding hands.
  • Meeting Charlie at the end of the aisle and walking together up to the altar--I couldn't breathe or speak for all the love I felt at that moment.
  • During his message Pastor Thul held Charlie's arm for an extended amount of time; I hit him with my flowers.
  • My brother's analysis of the "things I love about you" lists that Charlie and I read to each other.  He asked us to remember that what we wrote may in fact be something that drives us crazy about our partner later in life [Charlie's generous spirit buying too many boxes of cookies from cute Girl Scouts, my compassionate spirit taking me from our home too often, etc] It was sweet and mindful, and we appreciated hearing the reality behind true love.
  • Lydia tapping the bottom of Charlie's sand container during the family unity ceremony and saying "All done!" when he finished pouring his into the bottle.
  • Charlie and I not being able to speak when it came time to read our vows to each other.
  • Xavier singing "Better Together" for us...our favorite song, my favorite acoustic singer :)
  • Lydia throwing herself at our feet at one point in the ceremony, reminding us that she's still two and still our little girl.
  • Baptizing my own daughter, with my own hand
  • The look on my dad's face as he watched his own little girl marry the man of her dreams.
  • Talking babies with my cousins and sister-in-law downstairs while doing hair and make-up.
  • Kissing Charlie awkwardly, passionately, as husband and wife.
The reception was totally what we wanted: great food, amazing music from Smitty and the Sound, dancing, catching up, delicious homemade wine...it's all a blur.  I remember all the smiles, the hugs, the well-wishes. I remember holding Charlie and Lydia close, finally a family in covenant with one another.

Charlie and I have much different ideas on love and marriage than before.  Maybe I'll explore those in another post; I certainly will post pictures when we receive them. :)

1 comment: